Skip to Content Top
Small Claims Litigation

Miami-Dade County Small Claims Lawyers

Small claims actions in our region of Florida refer to legal proceedings that are designed to resolve disputes involving relatively small amounts of money, typically up to $8,000. These cases are handled by the Small Claims Court, which is a division of the County Court system in Florida.

While you may believe that “small” claims mean relatively unimportant matters and thus not worthy of professional help, a small claims attorney can help to ensure that your case is properly and fully prepared and maximize your chances of a favorable outcome.

At Revah Law, our legal team of experienced litigators can give you the guidance and representation you need when filing or pursuing your claim for the restitution to which you are entitled. Our firm has a successful track record of representing clients throughout Miami-Dade County, Palm Beach County, and Broward County in legal issues.

Call Revah Law at (888) 218-4125 or contact us online to request a free initial consultation with a Miami-Dade County small claims attorney. Hablamos español. 

What Types of Issues Can Lead to Small Claims?

The purpose of small claims actions is to provide a simplified and informal process for individuals and businesses to resolve their disputes quickly without the need for extended and complex litigation. 

Many types of disputes between parties can lead to small claims cases, including but not limited to the following: 

  • Unpaid debts: Money owed for loans, services rendered, or goods sold
  • Property damage: Disputes involving damage to personal property or real estate
  • Breach of contract: Failure to fulfill the terms of a written or oral agreement
  • Landlord-tenant issues: Disputes over security deposits, unpaid rent, or property damage caused by a tenant
  • Consumer complaints: Issues related to faulty products, poor services, or warranty disputes
  • Personal injury: Claims for minor injuries resulting from accidents or negligence
  • Mechanic's liens: Disputes over unpaid labor or materials in construction projects
  • Promissory notes: Disagreements over the repayment of money lent with a written promise to repay
  • Unreturned property: Disputes involving borrowed or rented items that have not been returned or for items or money that was stolen
  • Small business disputes: Conflicts between small businesses, such as vendor disputes or partnership disagreements
  • Neighbor disputes: Issues between neighbors, such as property line disputes or noise complaints

Other situations not covered above may qualify for the small claims process. Our legal team can advise you on the best course of action for resolving your particular dispute. 

The Small Claims Process

You can only bring a small claims action in the county where you live, where the dispute occurred, or where the property involved in the case is located. It is always a best practice to try to resolve the matter outside of court, such as through communication and negotiation, to save you the time and inconvenience of filing and pursuing your claim through legal channels. 

The small claims process involves claims of up to $8,000. This does not include court costs, interests, or legal fees. To initiate a small claims action, you as the plaintiff (the person filing the claim) must file a Statement of Claim form with the appropriate court, along with a filing fee. The defendant (the person being sued) will then be served with a copy of the claim and a summons, which informs them of the lawsuit and provides instructions on how to respond.

Both you and the other party are allowed to represent yourselves in small claims court, although you may choose to hire an attorney if you wish. The court process typically involves a pretrial conference, where the judge may attempt to mediate the dispute. If the parties cannot settle, the case proceeds to trial, where the judge will hear both sides and decide. If you fail to appear in court, your case will be dismissed. If the party being sued fails to appear in court, the judge can issue a default. 

If the judge rules in your favor, a Final Judgment will be issued by the court. This entitles you to recover the specified damages along with interest from the other party. However, you may have to pursue what is owed you through post-judgment proceedings. Our team can provide guidance and representation at any stage of the process, from the filing, court appearance, and post-judgment collection proceedings. 

Why Hire Revah Law?

While it is not required, our firm provides several advantages for those seeking small claims actions. We can help you understand any laws or regulations that may impact your case, help you gather evidence, draft legal documents, prepare strong arguments, identify potential weaknesses in your case or the opposing party’s case, negotiate with the other party to reach a favorable settlement before having to go to court, and advise you on the best way to seek a favorable outcome.

All of the above can make the process less stressful and time-consuming, freeing you up to focus on other aspects of your life that may be more important. However, it is essential to weigh the benefits against the cost involved, especially for relatively small claims. We can advise you on the financial aspects of your case in a complimentary consultation. 


    “Highly recommend.”
    “I used this law firm to advise me on commercial closings and landlord-tenant law. These attorneys are knowledgeable and efficient.”
    - Bryan S.
    “I highly recommend their team to anyone looking for legal advice.”
    “Phil and his team were very professional and helped me throughout each step of the process. The case had a hearing that included the tenant in court. Phil was able to professionally state my case and quoted statutes that ended with a judgement in my favor.”
    - Brandon H.
    “We were immediately greeted by attorney Phil Revah who had a profound knowledge of landlord tenant law.”
    “Due to the lawyer’s efforts, we ended up settling the lawsuit and recovering possession of both eviction properties within 3 weeks of filing both cases.”
    - Naomie O.
    “Phil, is a good attorney.”
    “I had an unlawful detainer case and he got the job done.”
    - Jason M.
    “Eviction was done in 28 days. Would use them again.”
    “I used this law firm to evict my tenant on Hollywood Beach. They were running an daycare business out of the apartment we rented and they were subletting.”
    - Alexander K.
    “The eviction lawyers were very professional and extremely knowledgeable.”
    “One of my colleagues called this firm for information on doing a residential eviction for a single family home she rented in Hollywood, FL.”
    - Nicolas W.
    “Would recommend!”
    “The staff at Revah Law were all very professional and responsive throughout the process.”
    - Otoniel L.
    “Great firm.”
    “Phil is an excellent attorney - precise, informative and very honest!”
    - Paul L.